The ABS has released the Q4 2022 livestock and production data on 16 February. This provided the Market Information team the full suite of insights for slaughter, production and carcase weights for the 2022 calendar year.
Read the analysis of this in last week’s MLA e-newsletter “The Weekly” here.
Topline figures include:
- Cattle slaughter fell a further 3% year on year to reach 5.85m head
- Lamb slaughter rose 3% to hit 21.45m head
- Sheep slaughter rose 15% to hit 6.32m head
- Beef production was only down 0.7% due to record high carcase weights offsetting lower slaughter.
- Lamb production reached a new record of 534,500 tonnes
- Sheep production increased 12%